History of  “Vinegar Hill”

One of two Mt. Pulaski train depots full of activity for a daily shipment to Decatur

Prior to the repeal of the eighteenth amendment (prohibition) in 1933,  Mt. Pulaski stayed “wet”
 longer than the surrounding “dry” towns.  Since Mt.  Pulaski had thirteen prosperous saloons and
a few bootleggers, the railroads brought many customers into town from several directions on two separate
train lines: Peoria - Lincoln - Mt. Pulaski - Decatur; and Chicago - Clinton - Mt. Pulaski - Springfield - St. Louis. 
They would ride in with empty flasks and bottles and leave with full ones.  Barrels of whiskey, with pickles and
vinegar labels on them, were used for shipping purposes.
  Upon nearing our town, the conductor would call out “Vinegar
Hill - next stop." 
The local high school boys would earn wages by lugging the heavy barrels off and on the train cars.