Weekly trains loads of the "precious stuff" on
their way from
Mt. Pulaski to Decatur, Illinois
... 1920's - '30's ...

History of “Vinegar Hill”

Prior to the repeal of the eighteenth amendment (prohibition) in 1933,  Mt. Pulaski stayed “wet” longer than the surrounding “dry” towns.  Since Mt. Pulaski had thirteen prosperous saloons and a few bootleggers, the railroads brought customers into town from every direction.  They would come with empty flasks and leave with full ones.  Upon nearing town, the conductor would call out “Vinegar Hill next stop”.  Thus, the town earned the nickname, “Vinegar Hill”.

 

Strong local high school boys were on the payroll for their loading / off-loading work.