George W. Turley felt there needed to be a town between Decatur and Springfield, so he allocated several hundred acres of his land to this plan. He had the area surveyed, platted and named as the town "Georgetown" (Georgetown is shown on original maps of George W. Turley’s land including the mound where Mount Pulaski now stands). George had named it Georgetown, not after himself but rather after a close family friend whom his father, James, had served with during the Revolutionary War: General George Washington.
doctors, Barton Robinson and Alexander Shields, had been
boarding at Jabez Capps' residence in Springfield. Dr. Shields
had made his country rounds and was returning to Springfield
going through George W. Turley’s land. Along the way, he
noticed the "mound" and thought it would make a beautiful
setting for a town. Upon returning to Capps' boarding house he
discussed this with Dr. Robinson, who made inquiries to Mr.
Capps as to who owned the "mound" land. Jabez (as with anyone
who lived on or purchased property owned by a Turley in the
area) knew it was George W. Turley's land and offered to take
him out and introduce the two of them.
Another stipulation George W. Turley insisted upon was that since he was the primary partner (the town was being developed on his land, and he would be giving up the initial start-up capital for this venture) he would have proprietary to naming this town. He decided he would name his second town, Pulaski, after yet another friend of the family, who also served with his father in the Revolutionary War, Count Casmir Pulaski.
George W. Turley was a very close and personal friend of Abraham Lincoln, as documented by several articles in the "Times-News, Mount Pulaski, IL, Thursday July 13, 1961". When George W. Turley felt it was time for a new county and county seat, he again put his money on the vision and enlisted his friend, Abraham Lincoln (who was now serving in the legislature and just happened to be Chair of the committee for just such a task). It is well documented that Lincoln was able to redistrict boundary lines and form a new county from an edge of Sangamon County. This occurred in 1839 and Mr. Lincoln named it Logan County after a personal friend of his (Dr. John Logan, a fellow member of the state legislature). When the County Seat was established, it put Mount Pulaski ' on the map' and it began to prosper. In 1853, a group began pushing to have the county seat relocated to the town of Lincoln, which had been so named in Abraham Lincoln’s honor by friends of his during that same year. Turley, again, put his money on the line and sued the county. The lawyer for the parties for relocation was Abraham Lincoln. As a businessman, Turley knew that relocation would have financial impact on the continued growth of Mount Pulaski. The relocation of the Logan County Seat was voted upon and passed in the election of 1853—the Logan County population center had shifted more to its center, where the city of Lincoln had been established that year. Also, the Chicago-Bloomington-Springfield-St. Louis train line had been recently completed, which now ran through the new town of Lincoln. George Turley and others of Mount Pulaski filed a bill in the Logan County Court to “restrain the county officers from erecting county buildings on the new location…” due to discrepancies, they reasoned, that had been made during the Illinois House of Representatives’ decision for passing the legislative bill to have the county seat relocation appear on the 1853 election ballot. In February of 1854, the Illinois State Supreme Court rendered its decision of this Mount Pulaski bill in favor of the relocation to the city of Lincoln. It is said that George W. Turley lost both of his suits to great financial loss. [note: more on these two Turley court cases are included in: Abraham Lincoln in Logan County, Illinois 1834-1860 by Paul Beaver (2010)].George W. Turley (b) 5 March 1798 Mt. Sterling Montgomery County KY
(d) 28 Feb 1865 Logan Co. IL
SON of: James Turley III (b. 8 Jan 1761 in Va.) & Agnes Kirby (b. 3 May 1763 in Va.)
In 1820 James and Agnes removed with their family (of which GWT was one) from KY to Lake Fork in what was then Sangamon County. He had 80 acres and continued to purchase land throughout his life, as did his children. Since there was no Land Office, James was unable to file his land purchases from 1820 until 1824, when the Land Office was opened in Springfield.
George married in 1826 to Margaret Ann Swindler Sims (Widow Sims) (d) 1832
issues w/ Margaret (Annie):
1. Richard E. Turley (b) 1827 Logan County IL md. Anna Baxter
* CW (Civil War) Vet mustered in 17 Sept 1862 Co. "B" IL 106th Inf. Officer
2. Mary Louisa (b) 1829 Logan County IL
3. Emily (b) 1832 Logan County IL (d) 1832 Logan County IL
George md. #2: Margaret (Maggie) Powell Scott (widow Scott)
issues w/ #2 Margaret (Maggie)
4. (4th child of George - 1st child w/ wife #2)
Elizabeth (b) 1834 md. Chalton C. Buckles
5. Henry C. (b) 1836 Logan County IL
6. Frances Ann (b) 1838 Logan County IL
7. Daniel W. (b) 1840 Logan County IL
by Sharon Stone-Cook
[Certified Genealogist and Lineage Specialist]