"The brick portion of the Mount Pulaski House Hotel was constructed in 1844 by Mr. George Payne. The frame was added two years later. The lady depicted is Mrs. John Downing, formerly Miss Ann Vetters. The gentleman depicted is Mr. Herbert N. Capps, who later moved to Kansas. Another gentleman pictured in an original photo but not depicted in this mural painting is Herman "Pony" Mattfelt, an uncle of E.O. and Henry Mayer."
"The new Roth building on the north west corner of the square is to
be a two story structure, modern in every respect. The front will
be of pressed brick and plate glass. On the ground floor, there
are to be three store rooms, two of which will be 80 feet in length by
20 feet in width, while the third will measure 120 feet in length and 20
feet in width.
Mt. Pulaski Weekly News - 1902