At the April 1847 election, citizens of Logan County voted to move the
county seat from Camden (Postville) to Mount Pulaski. In 1847, local citizens, craftsmen,
and merchants donated materials, labor, and $2,700 to construct the building.
An addition $300 was supplemented by a county appropriation. The building is an
example of early Greek Revival Architecture.
The new courthouse of the Logan County Seat was ready for occupancy in
the Spring of 1848, when the county records were loaded into wagons at
Postville and moved to these new quarters.
Mount Pulaski was the LoganCounty Seat
from the Spring of 1848 to the Fall of 1855. Abraham Lincoln practiced law in this courthouse before the 8th Judicial
Circuit during the majority of the Spring and Fall sessions each year
from 1849 to 1855.*
In 1852, the Alton & Sangamon
railroad extended its line from Springfield, through Logan County, to
Bloomington. A town site was laid out in 1853 on the extension
right of way, one mile from old Postville. Its proprietors named
it Lincoln, in honor of their attorney, Abraham Lincoln.
In February, 1853, these proprietors
secured the passage of a legislative bill submitting to the voters of
Logan County the proposition of again changing the county seat, this
time from Mount Pulaski to the new railroad-town site of Lincoln. However, due to
subsequent litigations, the actual transfer of the county seat and its
records did not take place until after the fall session of 1855.
During the following years, the courthouse served as city offices,
school house, community center and post office. Today, the Mount
Pulaski Courthouse has
been restored and is listed on the National Register of
The courtroom on the second floor has the original wooden floor upon which Abraham Lincoln once paced during his law practice, here.
Both the inside and outside of the courthouse has been restored to its 1847
Mr. Lincoln was serving his 2-year term in the Federal House of
Representatives, so didn't return to the circuit until the Spring of